02 March 2010

Cabbage-Caraway Quiche


As he usually does when he flees the country, EES relocated the veggies from his refrigerator/pantry to mine.  This trip, it was a cabbage, a couple of small butternut squash and a fancy-schmancy pumpkin (but no heavy cream!).  I'm planning on turning the squash and pumpkin into a soup for his homecoming, but what to do with the cabbage...  

I eventually decided on a recipe for Cabbage-Caraway Quiche from epicurious.com that sounded really good (plus I'm a sucker for alliteration).  The verdict: I liked it, but RWT thought it too "caraway-y".  After nearly 19 years of marriage, I had no idea that RWT does not like caraway.  I guess that also explains why he does not like my caraway rye bread. 

Anyway, it was a good quiche although not great.  The reviews said it was too much filling for the crust, so I made it in my largest deep-dish pie plate (no store-bought pie crust for us!) and it was too little filling.   Also, I found it lacking in bacon flavor, but I did not use a very good bacon (accidentally bought the wrong type at TJ's) so that could have been the cause.  Not sure I'll make this one again as written.  At least not when RWT is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment