29 March 2010

Tapas Experiment #3


Testing out this recipe for next month's Gourmet Group get-together also went pretty smoothly.  I made my own puff pastry instead of the store-bought called for in the recipe.  I also inadvertently doubled the almonds (half were supposed to be reserved to sprinkle on top of the turnovers) and omitted the green bell pepper (it is a very subtly-flavored filling and I cannot see how bell pepper would not totally overwhelm it).

The recipe instructed to make crescents using a 4" round cutter, but I think a 3" round cutter makes a more tapas-friendly size.  Docking the dough helped to keep the turnovers from splitting open while baking.  And no differences (other than an additional minute or two of baking time) could be detected between: turnovers made immediately before baking; the ones made the day before and refrigerated;  and those that where made the day before and frozen.  So, for the party, I'll most likely make them a few days before and freeze them.

When I tasted the filling alone, it seemed to be a bit too mild, but it really compliments the puff pastry nicely.  But I imagine it would also work well to use pie or empanada dough.  The only other thing I will do differently for the ones for the party will be to chop the almonds a bit (and use the correct amount) and be sure the chicken is diced very small.  It would not matter much with the bigger 4" turnovers, but it should make the small ones a little easier to put together.

A very tasty and unusual recipe and one that I can see making for other get-togethers.

No comments:

Post a Comment