16 March 2010

Flax Muffins


Yeah, flax.  No, I'm not turning into a bird.  However, the recommendation of this recipe did come from a birder via another birder (Thank you, PS & MP!).

The recipe can be found on the back of a Bob's Red Mill Flax Meal package.  A similar recipe is here, but the recipe on the package calls for unbleached flour rather than whole wheat pastry flour (which can be a bit of a pain to find) and oat bran instead of "oat bran cereal" (whatever that is!).  

A substitution I made was to swap chopped dates for the raisins since I find it disconcerting how raisins can sometime "pop" when you chew them, especially in baked goods.   I also used heavy cream in place of the milk since there was so little fat in the recipe and I wanted the muffins not to stale too quickly.  And I used pecans as the nuts.

With all the goodies in these muffins, of course they are moist and tasty.  My only quibble with the recipe is that it says it makes 15 "medium" muffins.  I don't know what they mean by "medium", but with my standard-sized muffin pans, I ended up with 28 muffins.   Not that having more muffins is a bad thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment