04 March 2010

Whole-Wheat Blueberry Bars

 
Friends PS and PK (plus BSB chiming in on occasion) have been having a lengthy email discussion regarding blueberries and I decided to try out a recipe for Whole-Wheat Blueberry Bars that was passed along by PS in one of her messages.

Of course, I had to change a few things...  with the mindset of "if you are going to go healthy go all the way", I skipped the butter entirely and used 1/4 cup of a rather mild extra-virgin olive oil.  And I subbed King Arthur White Whole Wheat (which is made from a different variety of wheat) for regular whole wheat.  Also, I baked the bars in a 9x13" pan (who has an 8x12" pan?!?).  I had no problems with texture or thickness and they sure look pretty.  However, they were a little bland. 

I'll either add some cardamom (one of my favorite baking spices) or nutmeg (not one of my favorite baking spices) next time.  The cardamom would add a nice brightness and sparkle, but the nutmeg would give some warmth to the taste.  Hmmm, I guess it comes down to the time of year and your preferences.  

Good recipe, thank you PS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment