01 June 2005

In My Wildest Dreams, Part I – The Saga Begins

So you think my conscious mind is a bit chaotic? My unconscious mind is totally out-of-this-world. And because I am sleeping better since I’ve started this blog, I’ve started remembering my dreams more frequently again.

My dear friend ADD (who does not have any problems with his attention span) always said that he could hardly wait to get to work in the mornings to hear about my crazy dreams. Now you all get a similar glimpse into my psyche (like this blog is not enough – ha!)

The Dream: My ballroom dance teacher was stalking the mother of Mario Batali and while I observed it all from the viewpoint of fishing in a small rowboat under a bridge with Peter Boyle from Everybody Loves Raymond. Later on in the dream, I noticed that my dance teacher had taken my favorite pair of 80’s-era earrings (long, dangling silver helixes) from my jewelry drawer and was using them to adorn her shoes.

The Reasons: I had this dream the night before our first private ballroom dance lesson and was excited & a bit anxious about it when I went to bed. I think that my nervousness was represented by my dance teacher’s crazy behavior in the dream. She really is not the type to stalk someone or wear pilfered, dated earrings on her shoes. And this type of dream is not without precedence for me… back in college, the night before my first big chemistry exam, I dreamed that my very nice professor (who resembled Don Knotts, only dumpier) was chasing me around with a scalpel trying to kill me.

Why the pair of earrings? You got me on that one. I am confident the shoes were because I took my new pair of dance shoes and wore them the first time at the lesson.

The Mario Batali reference is most likely because of the upcoming tomato taste test. The host for the event is also making a bunch of sauces and is using a Batali recipe. I don’t know who/what Batali’s mother was all about – she was an abstract figure throughout the dream.

And Peter Boyle from Everybody Loves Raymond? I think that was just because RWT was watching reruns earlier that evening.

The Dream: Dancing With the Stars meets Canned, Imported Tomatoes meets Furniture Shopping. Utter nonsensical adventures ensued which included (but were not limited to) dancing the waltz with a six-foot tall San Marzano tomato in and around different styles of beds as part of a competition.

The Reasons: I had this dream after spending the whole day making six versions of tomato sauce using six different brands of canned whole tomatoes (I’d hate to think of what my dream would have been if I had been cooking with diced, let alone pureed, tomatoes!). So that explains the tomatoes (I hope!).

Dancing With the Stars premieres tonight and I’ve been looking forward to watching it. Plus, RWT and I spent the evening practicing waltzing.

I think the furniture shopping reference needs no explanation at this point. But why beds instead of couches… ??? Maybe it was because I was actually in a bed – a rather obvious reference. I haved noticed that not all the components of my dreams are symbolic, some are merely situational.

Well, that is it for now. But don’t worry (or worry!), there will be more…

No comments:

Post a Comment