25 June 2005

"Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?"

... my favorite line from Billy Crystal in the movie Analyze This when his psychiatrist character is confronted by a couple of federal agents from the Organized Crime Division who flip open their badges and say “OCD”.

Unfortunately, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is rarely that funny for those who suffer from it. And while I am lucky that I do not have OCD, the path leading there is very clear in my mind and one I make a conscious effort not go traipsing down.

But I still obsess plenty. And RWT’s accident has really pushed me pretty far into that realm. Instead of sleeping at night, I lay awake and picture the immediate aftermath of when he cut himself on the table saw last Saturday (but I will spare you all the gory details). And this evening, when going to the grocery store that is also the same way we took to get to the hospital emergency room, I even got a bit rattled.

Silly, yes. Unprecedented, no. After one of our more harrowing hikes in Joshua Tree National Park (when we nearly fell to unspeakable doom not once, but twice), I woke up in the middle of the night for weeks reliving that experience. However, I also know that it faded with time and so will this incident.

In the meantime, I fear that my writing here in this blog will suffer for a bit. My mental state tends to oscillate between obsessive worrying about RWT’s fingers and sleep-deprivation-induced blankness (often aided by playing far too much Spider Solitaire on the computer). I hope that after RWT’s surgery on Wednesday I’ll regain full brain function. Until then, please forgive me for lack of wit and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment