12 February 2010

Tandoori Turkey Fingers with Masala Ketchup

Confession:  I am not a big lover of turkey.  I usually only make it at Thanksgiving and, very occasionally, Christmas.  And by the time I clean the turkey, brine the turkey, cook the turkey and carve the turkey, I am well aware that it is a big, dead bird.  But when I saw a recipe for Tandoori Turkey Fingers with Masala Ketchup on this blog, I decided to give it a chance.

I made the recipe as written and it came together without many issues.  I used homemade breadcrumbs that were ground a little larger than what is shown in the pictures in the blog, so I did not have quite enough to cover all the turkey fingers.  Next time, I'll make sure my breadcrumbs are more finely chopped.  And I found a package of turkey cutlets, so I only had to cut them into fingers and pound them lightly.  Lastly, I did not have any limes, so I omitted the lime juice from the ketchup and did not miss it because I thought it was tart enough without it.


And the verdict?  They were very good.  And very healthy -- the only fat in the recipe is from the egg-wash, buttermilk and turkey.  They bake up really quickly (I put them on a rack on a baking sheet to make sure they were really crispy and that sped up the cooking even more), so there was a bit of a raw taste to the spices in the breading.  I know pan frying would solve that (there goes the low-fat!), but maybe spraying the the breaded fingers with a little olive oil before baking will have the same effect without adding too many additional calories.  And I guess I need to give turkey more chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment