21 January 2010

Nem Nuong (Pork Meatball) Banh Mi



Pretty darn tasty.  And surprisingly filling.  One of those sandwiches was plenty.

I followed the recipe as written for the most part.  Omitted the sliced jalapenos in the finished sandwich because they would have been too spicy for RWT.  As it was, the level of heat was close to his comfort limit.

Also, I did not have any daikon which was called for in the recipe.  I'd  planned on buying jicama as a substitute, if need be, but all they had was celery root (that was labeled as jicama, which I bought anyway and will probably use it in a new recipe next week).  So I went with my back-up back-up and used shredded cabbage which worked out well.   In fact, the simple pickled vegetable mix was really good and I'll probably use it in other applications (with the addition of a little sesame oil?). 

I still have about 2/3 of the meatballs, spiced mayo (also not too shabby and will be repurposed at another time) and veggies left for future meals.  The only things I'd do differently next time would be to try it with daikon and to hollow-out the bread a smidge more.  

Definitely worth making this recipe again and I think it would be fun to make it with tiny rolls as an appetizer -- banh mi sliders, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. yum! looks great! meatballs are called nem nuong in vietnamese and we also made some Vietnamese sliders as well. But they're so versatile..we eat it with bun and also roll them in spring rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ravenous Couple, for helping me out with the proper name. I've updated things appropriately.

    ReplyDelete