29 January 2010

Kimchi, Take 1



When I was at the commissary buying Napa cabbage for the Kimchi, one of the stockers in the produce department asked what I was going to do with it.  I replied "make some kimchi" and she told me she was Korean and makes it all the time.  She then started giving me all sorts of tips, such as using Asian pear instead of sugar.  And to add some rice flour cooked with water to thicken the "sauce".  She also told me something that was obviously quite important, but, unfortunately, I could not follow what she was saying on that topic in the least.

But, despite all the good advice, I made a huge error in judgment when it came time to prep the cabbage.  The recipe I was using as a starting-point said:  "The vegetables need to soak in saltwater for at least 6 hours and preferably overnight." And I believed them.  The cabbage had been soaking about 4 hours when it was time to head to bed.  I considered draining off the brine and giving the cabbage a quick wash before bed, but I was too tired and decided to let it sit overnight.  Bad decision.  Unfortunately, that was far too long and the finished Kimchi is way too salty.  I am a total salt-monster, but it is too much salt even by my generous standards.  

At least the flavor is great (until the overwhelming saltiness hits).  It  did come out rather spicy-hot.  Not any hotter than I've had in Korean restaurants, but even chili-head EES commented on the heat level.  So I am going to try it again (once I get to the store for more cabbage and mustard greens) using these amount for Kimchi, Take 2:

1 large head Napa Cabbage
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 cup water

Chop cabbage into large pieces and soak for 4 hours.  Rinse thoroughly in three changes of water.  Set aside.

1/4 cup rice flour
1 cup water

Mix together in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.   Then scrape into food processor and add:

1 head garlic, clove separated and peeled
1/2 medium onion, peeled and chopped into large pieces
2" piece of ginger root, peeled and cut into thin slices
1/4 Asian pear, peeled and chopped into large pieces

Process the mixture until everything is finely chopped.

2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons shrimp paste
3 tablespoons dried red pepper, medium grind (still undecided if I should decrease this to 2 tablespoons or leave it as is)
1 bunch green onions, chopped into 1/2" lengths
1 bunch mustard greens, chopped into ~1" pieces

Mix the above with the ingredients from food processor, add the reserved, drained cabbage and mix well.  Refrigerate for at least a day for the flavors to meld.

I'll guess I'll just have to let you all know how the next batch turns out...

2 comments:

  1. Another suggestion: applesauce instead of the asian pear.

    ReplyDelete