28 January 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Bars



Oh, my, goodness, gracious.  Unless you absolutely hate peanut butter (or are allergic to it), you  should make these immediately.  I thought they would be good, but, no, they are utterly spectacular.  Not too sweet, not too chocolately, not too peanut buttery and with the perfect balance of soft and crunchy.

I made the recipe pretty much as written and it went together easily.  The biggest change was that I did not have any milk chocolate, so I used semi-sweet for both the filling and the topping.  I'm not sure how much it affected the taste -- I suspect using the milk/dark combination is more for the aesthetics of getting the greatest color difference between the layers.  I also did all the heating of the chocolate mixtures (both for the filling and the topping) in the microwave.  Just heat it in a microwave-safe container (I like to use a pyrex measuring cup)  at 50% power and stir well every 30 seconds or so. 

And, although it really is easier to use a candy thermometer, you can test the doneness of the syrup for the rice crispy layer using the cold water test.  So don't use that as an excuse.  Now go make a batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment