22 January 2010

Next Week's Recipe Plan

RWT will be off basking in the warmth of Hawii next week, so I'm looking forward to trying out some new recipes that contain ingredients he does not care for. The food section in this week's paper had a recipe for Kimchi and that is a possible candidate. I'm not sure I'll have time between now and then to shop for the specialty ingredients called for in that recipe, so perhaps I'll look for a recipe that cheats when it comes to authenticity and uses ingredients I already have on hand (I have a hard time believing the dish will be totally "ruined" if I use a different kind of chile pepper).  

Another recipe that I must make is this one for Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Bars and, because RWT hates peanuts in any application that is not savory, next week will be the perfect time to try it out. I am not big on chocolate, but mix it with peanut butter and make it crunchy... mmmmm. 

The above recipe came from Baked, New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito and I really want to get that book. Why? From the description on Amazon: "a Malt Ball Cake with Milk Chocolate Frosting, which captures the flavor of their favorite Whoppers candies (and ups the ante with a malted milk ball garnish)." Yes, Malted Milk Ball-based cake. As EES recently discovered when he got some for us to "share", I have zero self-control when it comes to malted milk balls. Yeah, I don't really need yet another baking cookbook, but it contains a recipe for a Malted Milk Ball cake.  Malted Milk Balls! Time to put it on my Amazon wishlist. 

So that leaves one more savory recipe. I had Kale Chips at a get-together a couple of weeks ago and they were delicious. But it is really not much to try in the way of a recipe since it only entails removing the ribs from the kale, tossing it with oil, sprinkling with salt and pepper and then baking it. Plus, I do already know what they taste like (really good!), so maybe it should not count as a new recipe. I still have the celery root I bought the other day when I was on my quest for daikon.  Perhaps a Celery Root and Potato Gratin.  Or ???  Hmmm....

Update:  I stopped on my way home from lunch and picked up some Korean chile powder and salted shrimp at my favorite specialty market (88 Market on Rte. 7, Culmore Plaza, it carries both Asian and Hispanic foods), so after a trip to the commissary next week, I'll be good to go for the Kimchi.

No comments:

Post a Comment