24 May 2005

You Spin Me Round Like A Record

Well, at the moment, I am certainly feeling more Dead than Alive...

Just got back from our Ballroom II class and tonight was learning the hustle. No, not the line dance hustle that they tortured me with in 7th grade P.E. class , but the partner hustle dance (it is, although some vehemently disagree, somewhat like a variation of swing). Neither RWT or I had danced it before (needless to say, we are not *that* old!) and, like all new dances for us, it is a challenge.

During class when we were doing the hustle to "Sledgehammer", RWT said he is sure he's going to hell for dancing the hustle to 80's music. But for me, I am already in hell for attempting the 1.5 turn that our teacher said is the hallmark of hustle. Blech.

I had a nasty inner-ear infection when I was a freshman in high school and ever since then, I have some balance issues and get dizzy really, really easily. Just watching other people ride the teacups at Disneyland makes me want to hurl my churros. And I cannot even watch RWT play Nintendo or PS without getting ill (although the old 2-D Nintendo games are no problem).

I fear that doing this 1.5 turn for hustle may just be the death of me. Probably the most irritating part of it all is that I cannot practice my turns for more than 5 minutes or so before start feeling so sick that I need to sit very, very still and close my eyes. Arrgh! So here I sit... dizzy, nauseated and frustrated. I think I'll go to bed and hope the world stops spinning right round round round...

[Interesting discovery while at dance class... for the 1.5 turn, the ladies are supposed to put their left arm up in the air while spinning. Our teacher told us "be sure that it is all the way up with the inside of the elbow against your ear". Upon doing that, I noticed that, unlike all the other women in the class who's elbows were by their ears or at the very highest their temples, when I extend my arm my elbow is about an inch above my head!!! Aaack! I'm a freak of nature!]

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:54 PM

    MKT, you are NOT a freak of Nature, and even if you were, so what? BTW, I'm a freak too. My elbows definitely stick up miles above my head - doesn't bother me in the least.

    ReplyDelete